For over 20 years, François has represented insurers and municipalities, mainly as defendants, in litigation cases. His main areas of practice are civil and municipal liability, personal injury claims, construction law and subrogation actions.
He has also practiced for several years at the APCHQ as an in-house counsel, developing expertise in construction cases.
He advises clients at all stages of their claims, both as plaintiffs and defendants.
He successfully represented cities and municipalities in the following cases:
- Constructech ML inc. v. Ville de Mont-Laurier, 2019 QCCS 4891 (https://canlii.ca/t/j3l0h) – Claim following a call for tenders that rejected separate pricing
- Lamoureux v. Municipalité de Messines, 2019 QCCQ 5872 (https://canlii.ca/t/j2mdt) – Claim dismissed following the plaintiff’s failure to register the case within the time limit
- Geres v. MRC des Collines de l’Outaouais, 2019 QCCQ 916 (https://canlii.ca/t/hxt0z) – Claim for personal injury and unlawful arrest
- Gagnon v. Ville de Chapais, 2016 QCCS 4099 (https://canlii.ca/t/gt6jb) – Personal injury claim following the plaintiff’s entry into an abandoned city-owned building
- Hirst v. Township of Potton, 2015 QCCQ 1493 (https://canlii.ca/t/ggrdq) – Dismissal of the plaintiff’s action for prescription
- Camion Freightliner Mont-Laurier inc. v. St-Aimé-du-Lac-des-Îles (Municipality of), 2014 QCCQ 12090 (https://canlii.ca/t/gfnp2) – Claim following a call for tenders criticizing the municipality for having required a specific product
He also represents insurers in subrogation claims in major loss cases to help them recover indemnity payments.
Boards and associations
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Mirabel (since 2019)
- Director of Fondation au Diapason (2018-2020)